Friday, December 1, 2017

2d- Inquiry

My past 3 months of daily practices have been focused on getting ready to go back on auditioning. To be able to do that I made to do lists:
 
    First, updating my CV and head shots for commercials and theater
    Second, Getting back in shape as well as improving my physical strength; Join the gym and work out
    Third, finding an acting and singing coach to improve my techniques
    Forth, uploading my CV on various entertainment websites
 
while I was going through the audition lists, most audition roles were for Caucasian males. This brought many inquiries to emerge in the back of my mind.
 
◦ Why diversity (ethnicity, sexuality, age) in Hollywood as well as Broadway is still a controversial issue? I see more women and minorities on TV, but still in Hollywood or stages we still have a long way to go. In 2016, 70.8% of speaking roles were white, 13.6% were black, 5.7% were Asian, 3.1% were Hispanic or 7% other.
 
Also, since I was new in the States, I joined various actor, singer and dancer groups on Facebook. My cultural background instills responsibility in me as an international artist that the roles I partake in portray Asian society in a positive manner,
 
◦ Why are Asian characters all Kung-Fu fighters, loud and naive?
 
◦ What is required to change these stereotypes?
 
◦ Why are stereotypes usually portrayed negatively?
 
I believe it is important for an artist to identify oneself. One shouldn’t forget their unique background. One should find a way to balance ones beliefs and morals, as well as nurture positive work relationships. I hope I can earn an influential position so that people have no other option but to embrace differences and encourage empathy. I am looking forward to exploring more about different inquiries on the next Module.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment