Tuesday, December 12, 2017

2a Reflective journal task

Journal writing experience
 
Boud said “Journal writing can be viewed through many different lenses: as a form of self-expression, as a record of event or a form of therapy.” (Boud, David 2001 p9).
 
Journal writing has been an excellent method to practice expressing my emotions, gathering my thoughts and questioning myself on a variety of issues. For instant, ‘Why I decided to take this course?’ ‘What I am hoping to improve?’ ‘What I thought and learnt while I was teaching children?’ ‘What was that I felt missing?’ ‘How I want to move forward as a professional?’ In addition, it reminded me of my goals and my purpose of taking the BAPP course. Until I read over the handbook and went through references, I didn’t know I could also use my journal writing as a record of event. I found this most beneficial as a professional. I can record before and after the each audition. 

When I went to a musical theater audition, as soon as I sat in the waiting room, I looked around and started to compare other candidates to myself. A is prettier, B sounds good at practicing the same piece, C has good singing technique, etc. It made my heart beat faster and made me more nervous. Then I remembered, I brought my journal with me. I asked myself questions ‘Why did I want to be an actress?’ ‘What was it that brought me back to another audition?’ ‘What I want judges to see in me?’ ‘What is my strength? It helped me to clear my head and be more focused on myself. After all, all you need is one yes. Most of the time, I feel overwhelmed once I walk out of an audition. I feel this way due to my regret. I know I could have done better at certain things during the auditions. But, I often forget and make the same mistakes. This time I evaluated the audition afterwards. Firstly, my song choice was good but, when a music director asked about my vocal range I wasn’t able to answer her. I wish I would have written it down and memorized it when my college professor told me during class. I am definitely going to ask my current singing coach at the next session. Recording a journal afterwards reminds me what went well, what I should avoid doing next time, how I can improve, it gives me clear direction and helps me avoid making the same mistakes at the next audition. 

Journal writing has made me feel more comfortable with giving my opinions in last few group discussions..I am going to use it continuously until I gain more confidence in having my voice in public forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment